VSS's Virtual Rotary Cockpit
The VSS Cockpit Simulator is an immersive, cost effective rotary wing pilot training solution which allows pilots to conduct flight part tasking procedures and CRM training with rear aircrew. Landings, takeoffs and general flight can be practiced and assessed in simulated Air, Land and Sea scenarios.
An extension to the Complete Aircrew Training System (CATS), VSS have developed a low-cost virtual cockpit that provides pilots with the basic flight characteristics and functionality of a real rotary wing aircraft in a 'first person' simulated environment.
Constructed using heavy duty polymers for a long service life, the cockpit enclosure is fitted with functional seating, dual controls, collective, pedals, cyclic and basic flight instrumentation. The cockpit has a scalable fidelity that can be adjusted to suit the training situation and support beginner or advanced flight environments.
Combined with the ICS communications system and optional CATS rear crew environment, VSS is able to provide a fully manned flight deck for CRM training in an immersive virtual environment. The cockpit can also be linked to any of VSS's other simulators (JTAC, Sniper, Marshalling) to provide a complex and challenging training regime under controlled conditions.
The cockpit supports a multitude of helicopters and flight characteristics, enabling pilots the ability to train in a controlled, low cost, virtual environment. High Definition visuals can be achieved by using the VSS Head Mounted Display or one of our modular projection dome models.
- Dual Flight Controls - The pilot controls, while generic in nature, are the same or similar in function to those found in live aircraft.
- Head Mounted Displays - Pilots can use the HMDs to obtain high definition images of the cockpit internals, animated instruments and the surrounding environment. The HMDs also support NVG flight mode.
- Dome visuals - VSS cockpits can also be used with our dome visual system to provide pilots with greater peripheral vision and a wider field of view.
- ICS compatible - Aircrew can use their own Gentex helmets or a VSS helmet, with both supporting ICS communications
- Motion Platform - The VSS cockpit can be mounted on a motion platform to provide engine rotation feedback and motion.
- Variety of Aircraft in a single modular simulator - The VSS cockpit can be reconfigured to reflect the instruments found in various aircraft platforms. Models currently supported are the UH60, AW139, Bell 412 and UH1H. Others can be added upon request.