Complete Aircrew Training System (CATS)
The CATS is a cost-effective solution to all aspects of synthetic and procedural training for helicopter crews. From the basic training of Crewmen conducting clearances, underslung loads, hoisting to full crew coordination including door gunnery both by day and NVG operations.
The CATS is a training solution that is flexible and features a modular design, able to be easily re-configured to suit multiple helicopter types, or can be designed to suit a specific helicopter type.
The CATS also features HLA / DIS protocols, opening up linkage functionality to other simulation environments.
- Crew members are equipped with Virtual Reality headsets and their positions are tracked in 6 DoF in 3D space.
- Trainees view a high-fidelity representation of the aircraft and the surrounding environment that is completely immersive.
- Trainees are free to move about the cabin and operate as they would in the real aircraft, including lying down to view the underside of the aircraft.
- The Internal Communication System (ICS) allows crew members to develop and practice effective crew coordination.
- CATS presents a full crew mission environment, either by the CATS instructor acting as the pilot, by incorporating a VSS cockpit module, or by linking into an existing pilot simulator via HLA/DIS.
- Door gunnery is fully immersive with the VR HMD providing the gunner with 360° views, increasing the gunners capability by providing greater situational awareness.
- VSS also creates replica weapons, such as the M134 Minigun, M240 and GAU21 to conduct high fidelity door gunnery training.
- Door Gunnery Module - This module offers a rear crew 'part-tasking' VR environment for door gunnery, whilst operating various weapon platforms. The door gunnery module supports the use of either the Head Mounted Displays (VR) or optional Projection Dome visuals.
- Hoisting/Winching Module - Provides a generic procedural training capability for hoisting operations. Supports advanced SAR techniques, with operator specific mission equipment and modeling. Titan provides an immersive hoisting environment with realistic forces acting on the cable, survivor and objects. Can be operated with either a generic pendant control or a hoist/acft specific pendant control, including crew hover functionality if required.
- Cockpit Module - Provides CRM training environments thus adding complexity to Rear Crew operations and internal ICS crew coordination. The cockpit can be fitted with either generic or type specific flight controls and instruments for increased functionality.
- Marshalling Module - Supporting ground crew training this module incorporates the VSS Virtual Marshalling Simulator (VMS) used by the RAAF, RAN and AAvvn. This training capability can be used individually or combined with the above modules for complex and immersive scenarios.
- Airborne Sniping Module - Adding to rear crew operations and offering a 'force multiplier' to commanders, the MK2 sniper module incorporates the combination of aircrew and special forces elements.